Content marketing can be tricky, but it’s well worth the time and effort. Content marketing isn’t so much about promoting your products and services, but it’s about communicating with potential and current customers and providing them with useful information. There are various ways to present content for your company, including blog posts, videos, white papers, e-books, case studies, infographics, and photos.
If you successfully curate compelling content for your company, you’ll build brand awareness, drive traffic to your website, and establish your business as an industry leader. When content marketing is correctly executed, companies can better engage with their target audiences in order to generate new, qualified leads and drive sales.
1. Engage your audience. If you’re producing content for your company, your main goal should be to engage both current and potential customers. Focus less on promoting your business and business news, and focus more on providing your audience with content worth reading and sharing. Understand your customers–who they are, what they do, what they care about, and why they need your services/products. Think about what questions they might have and what interests them. Your company’s content should provide useful and purposeful information. A way to be creative about producing your company’s content is to identify personas for your target audience. For instance, maybe one of your customer personas is Businessman Bob, who is very serious, gets straight to business, and only wants the facts, whereas maybe another customer persona is Indecisive Izzie, who gets overwhelmed by too many choices and needs to know how your services/products benefit her. Give it a try. Not only will it help you more fully imagine the audience of your content, but it can be a lot of fun too!
2. Make your content as easy to find as possible. When people visit your site, they should be able to easily and quickly find relevant content. If not, they’re likely to leave your site unimpressed and disappointed. That’s why the navigation of your website is so important. Your menu bar should be able to direct visitors to relevant information regarding your business. It’s also important that your website works properly on all platforms and devices, as it’s becoming much more common for consumers to not only search on their mobile devices but make purchases on them as well. In order to get visitors to your site in the first place, ensure it is optimized for search engines. Correctly executed SEO will help your site gain more relevant and organic visitors to your site, increasing your chances of conversions.
3. Ensure the sharability of your content. Make your content social. Not only will shared links to your content increase site visits, but it will increase your brand’s authority, making site visitors more trusting and open to purchase. Add social share widgets to your site, write compelling titles, share your own content across social media content, and most importantly, create quality content. Entertain your audience, and give them useful information. When you make it easy for visitors to share great content, you should also make it easy for them to interact and connect with your brand through your website and social media accounts. Ask questions and respond to your audience in a timely manner.
4. Remember to be consistent in your content. Your content needs to align with your company’s brand. Your content should be a reflection of your company’s goals, policies, and most importantly the image you want your company to have. Tell people how you do your job–it’s okay. The more you explain, the more you show your expertise, and customers will be more likely to hire you for the job. Content can make or break a client’s impression of your business, that’s why it needs to be engaging and informative.
5. Track and measure your content performance. Use on-site analytics to review user activity on your website. You’ll see what content your site’s visitors spend the most time reading as well as what content they skip over. This can help you understand what kind of content your potential customers want more of as well as what content can be improved. On-site analytics allow you to determine what keywords bring in the most traffic, have the longest view times, and convert the most traffic. Look at the difference between overall visits and unique visits to see how many different people are viewing your content. You should also use social media tracking to see when your content is shared across the web. Pay attention to who shares your content, so you can better understand your audience.
There’s a lot that goes into making sure your company’s content is effective. However, good content generally brings in good business. That’s why at Steelsmith Group we take the time to ensure the content we produce for our clients is tailored to their company’s industry and audience. Our goal is to create content that shows off their expertise, so our clients are perceived as the industry leaders they are.
If you have questions about content marketing or want to hire Steelsmith Group to do it for you, give us a call today at (888) 245-4177 or fill out the contact form to the the right.